Adapted from The Gracious Cook
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- About 1 pound (1-11/2 1bs) boneless, skinlles chicken breasts-cut into small chunks
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion-peeoled and diced
- 4 large carrots-peeled and sliced
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup of milk (I used almond milk)
- Pour the broth into a pot and bring to a slow boil.
- Combine the oil, onion and carrots in a pan. Sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Add the vegetables and cut up chicken to the pot with the broth.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl and whisk to blend well.
- Pour in the oil and milk and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Use 2 teaspoons to scoop and round off your dumplings and put them into the pot. Make sure the broth is hot before adding the dumplings to the pot.
- Boil until the dumplings and chicken are cooked.
Comments: I made this chicken and dumplings on Sunday, August 10, 2014. This dish is really delicious and filling. Even my mom, who was at first skeptical about the dumplings, loved it. A tip on the dumplings: to check when they are done, prick them with a fork to look inside; they should not be doughy.