Adapted from Seriously Simply Parties by Diane Rossen Worthington
I prepared this fish for “Thanksgiving dinner” along with a Sweet Corn Pudding. It is a seriously easy recipe. The most complicated part is making the dressing and even that is very easy. Never before had I slow roasted salmon but it was a great discovery. It gives the salmon a delicious “creamy, moist texture.”
Buttermilk Garden Herb Dressing
- ½ cup plain Greek nonfat yogurt
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
- Ground white pepper
- Combine the yogurt, mayonnaise, buttermilk, mustard, vinegar, chives and basil in a medium bowl and whisk until blended.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready for use.
- 1 lb salmon fillet
- A pinch of salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Parsley sprigs for garnish
- ½ lemon, cut into quarters
- Buttermilk Garden Herb Dressing (recipe above)
- Preheat the oven to 275F (135C).
- Rub the salmon with the salt, pepper, and olive oil.
- Place the salmon, skin-side down, on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Roast for 26 to 32 minutes until flaky and just cooked through. The salmon will appear moist.
- Cut the salmon into 4 serving pieces and arrange on a platter. Garnish each piece with parsley and 1 lemon wedge. Serve with the herb dressing.
Comments: This fish is great warm but can also be served cold. At first I was a bit hesitant about the dressing because I really hate mayonnaise, but it really gives the fish a great boost of flavor. When making the dressing, you can substitute the buttermilk for a tablespoon of lemon juice plus milk to equal 1 cup. It might give the dressing a more liquid consistency but it still Works for the fish. The original recipe also has 1 tablespoon of dill, which I omitted because my mom doesn’t like it. You can substitute the basil for parsley if you prefer as well. This dressing is great for eating with vegetables too.