(Scalloped Potatoes Savoyarde)
Adapted from Julia’s Kitchen Wisdom by Julia Child
These potatoes are great for any meat dish: Coq au Vin, boeuf bourguignon, boeuf au poivre…you name it. They are flavorful, cheesy, crusty and soft…simply delicious.
- 2 lbs boiling potatoes
- 3 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1½ cups grated Gruyère cheese
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 425F (218C).
- Peel the potatoes one at a time. Cut them into ¼-inch thick slices and drop them into cold water.
- Sauté the onions in some vegetable oil.
- After draining and drying the potato slices, layer the bottom of a baking dish with them. Top the potatoes with the onions and then the cheese.
- Pour the chicken stock over the potatoes to cover by three-quarters.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes, basting several times until the liquid is absorbed and the potatoes are nicely browned.
Comments: This is not a complex side dish. They do bake for a while so they are perfect if you need to finish making the main course. I made them with the Coq au Vin and it was a very satisfying meal.