Adapted and Translated from La cocina divertida de Blanca Cotta by Blanca Cotta
No joke, these are my absolute FAVORITE brownies. These bring back memories from way back in my childhood. I suppose you could say they are more “European-style” brownies. They are very rich and fudgy on the inside and have a crackly surface. They are superb. I apologize to any Americans reading this but I was a bit disappointed when I came to the U.S. and tasted the American brownies. Even the ones that are supposedly “fudgy” have nothing on these. Don’t take my word for it; try them out!
- 200g (7 oz.) butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 300g (10.6 oz.) dark chocolate, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- Preheat to oven to 350F (177C).
- Put the butter in a saucepan and place the chocolate on top. Heat over medium heat.
- Once the chocolate is softened, remove from heat and mix with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Beat the eggs and sugar with electric beaters in a bowl until the mixture thickens and the top becomes the bubbly.
- Add the melted chocolate and continue beating until bubbles form.
- Gradually add the flour and keep beating until the surface becomes bubbly once more.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 13×9 inch baking dish.
- Place in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes. When done, the top will crackle. The inside should be moist but a toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean.
- Allow to cool before cutting.
Comments: I insist you try these brownies; I really do. I have a few recommendations. You most definitely don’t want to overbake them because they will become very hard. I get a bit nervous myself about whether or not they are ready but you will know when the top begins to crackle, I promise. Psst…if they come out a bit raw, no one will mind the melty deliciousness…They are absolutely amazing straight out of the oven but you will get a gooey mess. If you’re making them for yourself, be my guest to dig in as soon as they are out but if you are sharing with others, wait before cutting. You may add nuts if you wish.