Adapted from museinthekitchen.com
This year, I have finally learned to love all kinds of squash. Chayote can be considered a type of summer squash. It has a green outside and whitish flesh. Some people eat it raw but I’d rather have it cooked. Here is a very simple recipe for roasting a chayote.
- 1 chayote squash, cut into 8 pieces (like an apple)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 350F (177C).
- In a bowl, toss the cut chayote with the olive oil to coat.
- Sprinkle the chayote with the cayenne pepper and salt if desired.
- Place the chayote on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes.
- Flip the chayote pieces over and roast for 15 more minutes.
Comments: As I said, previously, this is a very easy recipe. It doesn’t require a lot of hands-on time and makes for a great side dish. I made these for lunch to accompany a Buckwheat, Mushroom and Rye Burger on German bread.