Adapted from Happy Herbivore by Lindsay S. Nixon
Have I mentioned that I love anything pumpkin? Well, I do. I have also recently discovered that I really like vegetarian chili; not only does it taste good, it’s a good way of combining veggies and protein in one. So, this recipe was perfect. It’s also quite easy and quick to make so I made it for lunch one day.
Yield: 2 servings
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup pure pumpkin (canned)
- 1 15-oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Line a skillet with a thin layer of water and sauté the onion until it is translucent.
- Add the chili powder and ground cumin, stirring to coat the onion. Continue to cook until all the liquid has cooked off.
- Add the broth and pumpkin and stir to combine.
- Add the beans and stir.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook until the beans are warm.
Comments: I loved the combination of kidney beans and onions with a hint of pumpkin and all the strong spicy taste. Like I said, it’s really fast to make so you can make it at any time if you’re in a hurry. The original recipe also included ¼ cup of canned green chilies but I was unable to find any at my supermarket. Don’t forget a slice of bread to soak it in the leftover sauce!