I strongly believe that the eggplant is one of the best vegetables out there. They go with anything and you can bake them in so many ways. I had some eggplants in my fridge and I needed to use them fast before they rotted. I had planned to make a meal that day but my parents wanted to eat meat so I had to find a side dish that included eggplants. How could I possibly resist breaded eggplant “fries?” I couldn’t. Here’s the outcome!
Yields 4 servings
- 10 ounces eggplant
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg white
- Preheat the oven to 450F (232C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and lightly grease with cooking spray.
- Cut the ends off the eggplant. Slice the eggplant in half and then into ¼ inch thick slices. Lay each slice on the cutting board and cut into ¼ inch strips.
- Place the eggplant strips in a bowl and season with olive oil and pepper. Set aside.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a bowl and the egg white in another.
- Dip a few eggplant strips at a time into the egg white and then into the breadcrumbs. Use a fork to fully coat the eggplant and to remove them from the crumbs. Place the strips on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, turn over the strips and bake for about 5 more minutes or until golden.
Comments: There’s really nothing to this recipe. It’s foolproof but absolutely delicious! The eggplant sticks are crunchy on the outside but remain soft and tender on the inside. There’s very little hands-on time and they bake quite quickly. My parents had them with barbecued pork and I had them with some Soy Milanesas.