Adapted from cooking.nytimes.com
When it says spicy, it MEANS spicy. I didn’t think it would be spicier than the Chipotle Sauce but it was. It definitely was. Thankfully, I like spicy things and my mom doesn’t like tofu so all was well. This is again very quick (10-15 minutes) and ideal for about a pound of tofu.
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons mirin (sweet Japanese rice wine)
- 1 teaspoon dry ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- Whisk together all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Use as a marinade for pan-seared, grilled or plain tofu.
Comments: I prepared the marinade as I let strips of tofu to cook on the griddle. Once the tofu was ready, I immediately spread the marinade over it and sat down to eat. You can find the rice vinegar and mirin in the aisle of the supermarket where they sell Asian products. Leftovers are good in a sandwich or whole grain English muffin. The marinade keeps well in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.