Adapted from Going Veggie by Trudy Slabosz
This dish would go great with rice or naan bread but it makes a good, hearty meal on its own as well. Lentils are a great source of vegetarian protein, fiber and iron. What makes this recipe even better is the fact that it’s a curry dish. The cashews give it a nice texture and the coconut also adds a nice little tweak to the flavor.
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 pound (450 grams) red lentils
- 14 ounces (400 grams) tomatoes, roughly diced
- ½ teaspoon raw or turbinado sugar
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- ¼ cup raw cashew nuts, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- In a pot, heat the oil and mustard seeds over high heat until the seeds start to pop.
- Add the onions and sauté over medium heat until soft.
- Turn down the heat a little. Add the cumin, garam masala, turmeric and ginger. Continue to cook over medium-low heat for another minute until fragrant.
- Add the red lentils and toss to combine. Add the tomatoes and sprinkle with the sugar. Bring the heat up to medium-high and add a splash of the stock, continuing to toss the tomatoes and lentils with the spice mixture for a minute or so, adding more stock when needed to stop it from sticking.
- Add the remaining stock and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook uncovered for about 25 minutes, until the lentils are soft and the soup is a thick stew.
- Serve in warm bowls topped with the cashew nuts and shredded coconut.
Comments: The original recipe says it serves four though it really is a lot of food. My parents and I didn’t even finish half and we froze the leftovers. I would say it serves at least eight people. The book also suggests adding golden raisins as a topping however I don’t like raisins so I skipped that part. This recipe has relatively little hands-on time but I do recommend having all the ingredients ready beforehand because you have to work fast.